Welcome to You

Welcome to our blog about our adventures in geocaching around the Pacific Northwest, our little corner of the world. We started Geocaching on March 6, 2010. We are approaching 600 finds and have an even 100 hides so far.

Geocaching is a fun activity for Nosey Rosey (Dawn) and I and we do it as a team. It has taken us around our county to places we have never seen before in 13 years. The exploring is just one aspect of the fun in geocaching. We go out nearly every weekend and use multi-million dollar satellites to play our hobby for free using an iPhone and my handheld GPS.

I (Ed) go by GeoHL now since I am called GeoHotLine by some of the fellow geocachers in the area.

If you have a question about geocaching ... you can email us at anytime at nwgeocaching@gmail.com .


Profile for GeoHL_NoseyRosey


Search Engine Submission - AddMe



Web Counter

Scroll down for all of our latest adventures geocaching around the Pacific Northwest.


See the link for OPB TV featuring Geocaching and be sure to watch the video of the CBS Evening News about geocaching

Friday, July 23, 2010

Umpqua Gold and others


Today we want to venture out for a couple of hours west of Melrose and OMG .. what a day we had. Probably the toughest day yet since started geocaching in March.

We found Umpqua Gold clear at the top of the Callahan's Range and what a view we had. Pictured is the scene from up there on the crest of the Callahan's where we found Umpqua Gold and Where the Ferns Are .. we tried to find Reforest Lookout on the back side of the mountain but alas a DNF for us after searching for this ammo can for about an hour. All we found was lots of slippery soil, poison oak, berry bushes, Madrone, horse flies... but no ammo can. That is three DNFs in a row for this one and something tells me it is MIA. We wandered around all over the place and finally gave up when my iPhone got down to 20% power for the day.

Nosey Rosey needs to work at the hospital tomorrow but I will be getting up with her to bail out and head up the north Umpqua River to see how many I can find out where I have no signal with AT&T but I can still find geocaches using the saved button for all the caches out there.

I hope to find plenty. My goal is to make t iout Diamond Lake and beyond. I hurt my knee today climbing around the side of the mountain looking for Reforested Lookout but I don't care. I am not going to let that stop me from looking for more east of here.

We also found Eternally Eden just outside of Melrose and and another in the Umpqua Valley Winery Tours too. It was at Hillcrest Winery ... one of these days we are going to need to stop in and sample some wine while on this tour looking for geocaches.

It is all in the numbers ... FTF is just a bonus ... if it happens it happens. Maximize the numbers.


No comments:

Post a Comment